Okay, so there are a lot of essential oils on the market (at your local health food store and even Amazon), but how do you know which ones are best to use – aren’t they all the same?
You need to be really careful with this because many oils out there are only intended to “smell pretty,” but they don’t have any health and wellness properties. These are considered “fragrance oils” and should never be applied topically or ingested.
This Crash Course Oil Video is about Young Living essential oils and and what makes them different:
Here is what makes Young Living different from other essential oil companies:
First of all, Young Living has been around for over 20 years and they are the ONLY essential oil company that owns its own farms or partners with farms that work up to their standards….
Seed to Seal
- They test their dirt for pesticides.
- They test the water for additives and toxins.
- They harvest their own seeds to ensure there are no GMOs.
- They use essential oils as natural pesticides on their crops. (I think this is really cool – since that means no chemical pesticides)!
- They also grow plants for the oils in the best, most natural climate for that particular oil. For instance, Frankincense (one of my personal favorites), is grown in middle eastern Oman. This is the legit baby Jesus Frankincense oil.
- They harvest their plants according to the highest yield of potent oil. This means that some plant might be harvested during the day, and others night. It just depends on the plant and how they can get the most potent oil. For instance, Ylang Ylang is harvested early in the morning by women because their gentle hands are best for the delicate flower.
- Young Living distills their oils on-site. They use their own distilleries made of medical grade stainless steel, and they use a low heat, slow steam process to retain the therapeutic properties of the oil. Additionally, they distill only one time.
- They test every batch of oil several times.
- They bottle their own oils.
- Most other essential oil companies buy their oils pre-distilled and have no quality or purity controls.
No Expiration Dates
It should also be noted that Young Living Essential Oils have no expiration dates (except for a few including the citrus oils – which last about a year). This is because pure, plants distilled into pure oil can last for centuries. Pure essential oil is not a perishable item – it does not go bad.
However, if essential oils have been altered in any way – like diluting with a carrier oil, the pureness of the essential oil now takes on the expiration date of the carrier oil. This is important if you use roller bottles or dropper bottles to mix your essentials with a carrier oil (that is why I like to mix them in small batches to be sure I use it before it goes bad).
Additionally, I find it very interesting to see how many essential oil companies that claim to be “100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils” come with an expiration date. I wonder why??
Young living does have a number stamp on every bottle of oil. They stamp when the product is bottled and can trace back to a particular batch of essential oil (through the seed to seal process) with that stamp. It is pretty amazing how closely their oils are tracked.
If you would like more information about Young Living’s Seed to Seal promise, you can visit seedtoseal.com.
Click here to LEARN MORE about essential oils!
If you have any questions you can contact me through my contact page and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Also, I would love to connect with you on social media. You can like my facebook page at creativeoilsolutions or follow me on Pinterest.
The information contained on this website is not meant to not intended to diagnose, prescribe, prevent, treat or cure any disease, illness, or condition, and should not be used as a substitute for seeking professional medical care and advice. Statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The information represents what I, an Independent Distributor of Young Living Essential Oils, have chosen to do to take charge of my own personal health and that of my family. Any suggestions made on this blog are very specific to Young Living essential oils and should not be used with oils from another source. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your physician before using these products. If you are currently on medication, please DO NOT STOP.
Information found on this site is meant for educational and informational purposes only, and to motivate you to make your own health care and dietary decisions based upon your own research and in partnership with your health care provider. It should not be relied upon to determine dietary changes, a medical diagnosis or courses of treatment.