DIY Oregano Oil Hand Salve
Okay, so I call this a “hand sanitizing salve” and that might be a little misleading. It definitely doesn’t kill the same amount germs a chemical hand sanitizer does, but who want to rub that stuff on their hands all the time?
Oregano oil has the naturally occurring constituent, carvacrol, which has been known to inhibit the growth of several bacterial strains. If anything, this salve is a great hand moisturizer that has the herbal scent of oregano.
You can feel good about rubbing this all natural, chemical-free salve on your hands!
I like to carry this salve in my purse to use after I wash my hands as a moisturizer.
I also rub this on the bottoms of my feet when I don’t want to get sick.
It’s super simple to make (like most salves) and I hope you give it a try!
(I only suggest using Young Living Essential Oils for my recipes. Since these oils are going to be applied to your body topically and be absorbed into your skin, you should only use 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils).
Interested in purchasing your own high-quality essential oils? Click Here to learn more.
Here is my recipe for Oregano Oil Hand Salve:
Hand Sanitizing Salve with Oregano Oil
6 – 1 ounce tins or glass jars (it’s best to avoid plastic when using essential oils)
2 Tbsp Bees Wax
¼ cup Coconut Oil
¼ cup Olive Oil
½ tsp Vitamin E Oil (optional)
25 – 30 drops Oregano Oil
Makes 6 – 1 ounce tins
- Using a glass jar (I prefer one with a spout so it is easy to pour) in a pot with 1-inch water on the stove, slowly melt the Bees Wax and Coconut Oil. Keep the heat on medium/low. We want this to melt slowly (and not get too hot). No need to hover because it will melt on its own (usually 10 – 15 minutes).
- While it is melting on the stove, get the tins ready (lids off), since you will need to move quickly once everything is mixed together (it cools and hardens fast, so you want to be ready).
- Once melted, add the Olive Oil and stir to be sure it is all melted.
- Remove from heat. Quickly add the oregano essential oil and stir.
- Carefully pour into tins.
- Allow to harden completely before putting lids on tins (about 15 to 20 minutes).
- Add a sticker to the top, and you’re done!
Apply to hands for an all natural moisturizer.
The Oil Stylist
The information contained on this website is not intended to diagnose, prescribe, prevent, treat or cure any disease, illness, or condition, and should not be used as a substitute for seeking professional medical care and advice. Statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The information represents what I, an Independent Distributor of Young Living Essential Oils, have chosen to do to take charge of my own personal health and that of my family. Any suggestions made on this blog are very specific to Young Living essential oils and should not be used with oils from another source. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your physician before using these products. If you are currently on medication, please DO NOT STOP.
Information found on this site is meant for educational and informational purposes only, and to motivate you to make your own health care and dietary decisions based upon your own research and in partnership with your health care provider. It should not be relied upon to determine dietary changes, a medical diagnosis or courses of treatment.